How’s the Osmo Pocket Microphone? Should I use an external Mic?
Osmo pocket, the smallest 3-axis stabilized handheld camera, mostly overcomes the limitations of its tiny size to produce impressive, cinematic video. It’s widely known as an excellent vlogging camera. However, people also reach a consensus that the only limitation is audio quality.
Youtuber Casey Neistat tested the audio quality of Osmo Pocket in one of his videos, comparing it with the GoPro HERO7. And the Osmo Pocket sounded terrible. Besides, there are several Youtubers tested the audio quality as well and came to a similar conclusion. However, an editor form dronereviewsand news expresses his opinion. “We can’t fault Casey. He’s only had it as long as us, and it didn’t come with a manual. But there must have been something about how Casey was holding the Osmo Pocket on that cold day in New York that affected sound. After all, we’ve been filming with it since late November and we’ve never had a similar sound experience.”
The DJI Osmo Pocket uses built-in dual microphones and advanced noise-canceling algorithms to ensure high-quality audio. One of the microphones is on the front, a tiny hole below the screen, while another underneath, which will together give you passable audio. But when the sound you’re recording does not be directly in front of the Osmo Pocket, it can struggle a little with wind noise. And you should pay attention not to cover the holes of microphones, which will definitely influence the sound recording. You can improve the sound quality by turning up the Audio Amplification settings. You can check the difference in the 3 modes in this video. But don’t have a high expectation for it.
If possible, prepare an external microphone for your Osmo Pocket. Your user experience will enter into a higher level. There is no 3.5mm audio jack, but the company brings out a USB-C adapter in the works. I think they should put it into the box. After all, so many people complain about its poor sound quality. And it will be comforting when there is a free problem-solving gadget. Order Osmo Pocket on Amazon now at a price of $349
External Microphone Recommended
- NOISE CANCELLING FOR FLAWLESS RECORDINGS PowerDeWise Lavalier Microphones record clean and clear sound for professional results. Use for Youtube Podcasting, GarageBand, or even to record your own rap!
- 3.5 MM TRRS COMPATIBLE JACK Simply plug the microphone into your iPhone, Android or Windows smartphone and clip on to your shirt. Now you can instantly reproduce your voice, no additional plugs or batteries needed. (!) Compatible with PC and laptop, compatible with those cameras that do not require active microphone (with batteries)
- 3IN1 VALUE PACK FOR NO HASSLE Each purchase includes a FREE 79” velcro wrapped extension cord so you can move around the room without unplugging the mic. We also throw in an extra storage case so you can safely bring your mic wherever you go!
- PROFESSIONAL OMNIDIRECTIONAL FLAWLESS RECORDINGS: AUFGELD Lavalier Microphones records clean and clear sound for professional results. Podcasts | Youtube | Video Conferences | Dictations | Interviews | Studios | Perfect for Large Rooms or even Outside!
- EXTRA-LONG LENGTH CORD! FREE extras included! AUFGELD Lavalier Lapel Microphone with long 59” (approx.1.5m) cord includes FREE carrying bag, 2 noise-canceling Wind Muffs, 2 durable Lapel Clips! with TRRS 3.5 mm Jack longer than almost all comparable microphones. Use for Youtube Podcasting, Bloggers Vloggers Podcasts, GarageBand, Interviews and more. IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH GOOGLE PIXEL, MOTOROLA DROID TURBO, NEXUS 5, SAMSUNG GALAXY J7 and some special phones or devices.
- COMPATIBLE WITH IPHONES AND MORE! Specifically designed for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony, LG, Blackberry & Windows Smartphones and other Android devices. MICROPHONE COMES WITH AN ADAPTER; with the 4 Pin to 3 Pin adapter, the mic will work on pc or laptop. NOTE: For Android phone users who are having trouble to make Aufgeld Mic work we recommend using “HedgeCam 2” app, where you can set external mic as default audio source
- IF YOU ARE USING AUFGELD MIC WITH: DSLR Camera, PC, Laptop, Audio Recorder or most of audio recording devices please note you need to connect mic to 2 STRIPE (3pin) ADAPTER first and adapter to your device. Smartphones you don’t have to use any adapter, you can connect it directly. FOR AUFGELD LAV MIC EXTENSION CABLE PLEASE SEARCH “LMAEC” IN AMAZON. NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MAC, MACBOOK MAC AIR PRO USERS PLEASE SELECT / SEARCH “LM-03G” IN AMAZON.