How to Repair Power Bank?
Normally the electronic devices like smartphones and tablets need a back up power bank to keep them alive, most of us individually owns even more than one. However, not all of us know how power bank works literally and how to repair power bank when it’s not charging or other defects occur.
I compiled some facts gathered from different causes and practical approaches to fix the problems with easy-to-use tools.
Generally there are 3 types of problems commonly encountered by the users:
3.Loose USB port
Let us get to solve the items one by one.
How to repair power bank with broken indicator?
Instead of using the word “repair” actually ” apply properly” is more suitable. Why? If the indicator is not functioning, then there’s a good chance that the charging circuit or the voltage converter might be defective, or the batteries will simply no longer accept charge. Therefore, the first thing on your to do list is to make sure the charging function is still working which means only the indicator failed, it’s not a brilliant choice to open the case and repair the batteries or circuits for most users, unless you have solid electronic knowledge background.
Simply apply a USB meter to measure the power passing through is a safe way to know the power bank is fully charged or nearly empty. The operation is easy enough, just charge your power bank and connecting it to the charger through the USB meter, keep an eye on capacity passed to, if it stops increasing, then charging is probably done. This option is also good to tell if battery capacity has decreased or to verify if the power bank you just bought really got the capacity it claimed to be.
How to repair power bank which is not charging?
If your power bank is made with Li-Ion 18650 batteries, when it is not charging it’s possible that the charging circuit is broken but the batteries are still good to use, or some of the batteries are still working, if so, you can still use the batteries to DIY a power bank, the methodology is similar to the article how to build a power bank from used laptop battery , just replace the used laptop battery to power bank battery, they are pretty much the same thing – 18650 batteries.
What if all the batteries are already dead? In this case it’s better to buy a new one, the printed circuit board is not easy to be fixed.
How to repair power bank with loose USB port?
Applying solder is not a good idea for amateurs, I would rather introduce an easier way for it, all you need is a screwdriver or even a toothpick, make the process as simplest as possible,the details are declared in the video below.
If your power bank is not fixed by applying the methods above, I strongly recommend to get a new one for safety concern.
High-quality power banks recommendation:
1: EasyAcc 10000mAh Portable Charger with Latest [Smart Charge], Quick Charge, Ultra-Portable Phone-Sized Power Bank
- Super Portable — One of the thinnest and slimmest 10000mAh portable charger — enables super easy one-handed holding and pocket-friendly carrying.
- Compact and Powerful — Exquisitely build, it’s around the size of an iPhone 5S, yet able to charge an iPhone 7 3.3 times, and a Samsung Galaxy S8 2.2 times.
- Latest [Smart-Charge] — QC 2.0/3.0, FCP, MTK PE/PE+ and other quick-charge protocols supported, it can charge a compatible device to 80% full in merely 35 minutes.
- Built-in Flashlight — Prepared for unexpected power failure, dark night walking, and more.
- Multi-Protection System— Effectively prevents your devices from overcharge, overcurrent and short circuits as well as conforms to CE, RoHS, and FCC specifications. 18-month warranty included.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 10 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Remarkably Compact: One of the smallest and lightest 10000mAh portable charger. Provides almost three-and-a-half iPhone 6s charges or two-and-a-half Galaxy S6 charges.
- High-speed-Charging Technology: Anker’s exclusive PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to deliver the fastest possible charge for any device. Qualcomm Quick Charge not supported.
- Certified Safe: Anker’s MultiProtect safety system ensures complete protection for you and your devices.
- What You Get: Anker PowerCore 10000 portable charger, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service. Lightning cable for iPhone / iPad sold separately