Does OnePlus Nord have face unlock or fingerprint scanner?
With the technology advancing, software security of smartphones has progressed from single password to under-display fingerprint scanner and to face unlock. As iPhone 11 series still lack a fingerprint scanner, you may wondering if OnePlus Nord features both unlock modes.
The answer is yes. OnePlus has equipped the Nord with the usual Android unlock method of a sub-display fingerprint sensor as well as a 2D facial recognition to unlock your device. Note that OnePlus uses the optical scanners rather than the ultrasonic scanners. It is the oldest method of capturing and comparing fingerprints, which means capturing an optical image and using algorithms to detect unique patterns on the surface. It is fast and its recognition ability will not be affected, no matter you use the general screen protector or tempered films (Galaxy S10, for instance, was ever revealed to have weak fingerprint scanning ability on a tempered film because it used ultrasonic ones).
The only drawback is that it is not difficult to fool. As the technology is only capturing a 2D picture, prosthetics and even other pictures of good enough quality can be used to fool this particular design.
So how about face unlock? Is it safer than fingerprint scanner? Actually, Face ID and Touch ID are very similar in essence, as they both use biometric authentication methods to recognize your identification. That said, they are safer than a single password because it’s a bit more difficult to change a permanent feature.
On the other hand, face unlock is theoretically more convenient and quicker than fingerprint scanner. It uses machine learning, which means it can still recognize you even if your face changes over time. Besides, there’s no need for you to place your finger on a button, you just need to pick up the phone and look at it even without thinking about face unlock. Anyway, it’s good news that OnePlus keeps two unlock choices for us so that we have more freedom to choose what we like anytime.
- 3x Faster Speed: Equipped with a USB-C Power Delivery port, and loaded with 18W of output power to revives the latest iPhones from 0 to 50% in just 30 minutes
- 33% Smaller Body: 2.8oz pocket-friendly compact body makes it easy to carry anywhere you want to go without any heavy and bulky feeling
- Two-in-One: With a USB-C PD 18W 3.0 port and a 12W USB-A port will charge two of your devices simultaneously.
- One for All: Offers fast charging for all your mobile devices. Compatible with the latest devices including MacBook Pro/ Macbook Air/ iPad Pro/ iPad mini/ iPad Air/ Airpods Pro/ iPhone 8/11 Pro Max/XR/X//XS/ Galaxy S20/S10/S9/S8/Note 10/ Pixel 2XL/3 XL/4 XL/ Nintendo Switch and more
- Total Safety: Multi-charging protection keeps your device safe from over-voltage over-heating & short-circuiting.
- PAY ATTENTION TO THE LIMITATION: It is a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter designed for charging or data transfer and it will NOT support video signal transmission.
- Gives you the ability to connect USB-C peripherals to devices with USB-A ports built in.
- Comes with a flexible keychain so that you can attach it to wherever you want, and not worry about losing it.
- Constructed with durable aluminum alloy to ensure that it doesn’t wear out over time.
- Offers data transfer speeds of up to 5 Gbps and also supports up to 3 Amps of power output.